Monday, November 28, 2005

Faux-hawks throughout history

Adam Ant revival band or 19th century British soldiers? You make the call!

Actually, this well dressed trio is from Vanity Fair, the Mira Nair directed movie based on the novel by William Makepeace Thackeray, and starring Reece Witherspoon.

I haven't read the novel, so I can't comment on how the two compare. But, I can tell you that whoever designed the costumes didn't worry themselves too much about historical accuracy... and the film is all the better for it. In addition, Mira Nair (who directed Monsoon Wedding) definitely has an eye for color, and -from the costumes to the settings to the cinematography- the movie is just wonderful visually.

Between this and the excellent Walk the Line, my opinion of Reece Witherspoon has gone up recently. In fact, Walk the Line is so excellent that I'm going to post a picture of it here.


"Who are you looking at?"

No comments: