Friday, July 07, 2006

NEW COMICS: 07.07.06

Quick note: Because I presume that no one who reads this site also reads the comics I'm reviewing, I'm not putting any "spoiler warnings." I'm not sure what the point of these reviews are, but here they are anyhow:

Uncanny X-men #475 - Actually, this is pretty darned good. As I've mentioned, I'm not a big fan of "X-men in space" stories. But, at least there is a logic to everything that happens here. And after logic being missing from the main two X-titles for quite some time now, its refreshing. I especially like that Brubaker has come up with a reason for the members of this team to be working together. As opposed to the usual "uh, we're arandom group of X-men that has been arbitrarily been thrown together" teams we have been seeing for a while now. I'm still not 100% sold on Billy Tan's artwork though, whcih comes off to me like a poor-man's Marc Silvestri; but its not bad by any regard. Since this is part 1 in a 12 part arc, its interesting to think that this story won't be done until sometime halfway through my Round the World Trip.


Excalibur #9 - Well, this issue was random. So, apparently Chamber is a distant relative of Apocolypse?! Is this a new revelation? Or is it something that's been introduced previously, but which I just missed? Maybe in Weapon X, which I guess would make sense because Frank Tieri wrote that series and this issue.

Still, this whole issue was just bizarre. We have Pete Wisdom showing up at the hospital bed-side of the faceless Chamber and offering him a place on Excalibur. Then some secret society of Apocolypse's decendants wisks Chamber way under Wisdom's nose, recostruct him as a Junior Apocolypes, and offer his a place in their society. Chamber turns them down, and storms out of their mansion where he runs headlong into Excalibur (who just happen to be jumping out of their passig jet). Excalibur then repeat their offer to let him join their team. and Chamber tells them, literally, to "sod off" ... then walks off into the sunset.

I get the feeling that Tieri just got punted this title since Claremont's still recovering, and didn't quite know what to do with it. So, instead he just decided to write a story that wraps up some dangling plotlines from his cancelled title.

Still, I didn't hate the issue. In fact, I thought it was kind of interesting and entertaining. It's always fun to watch some guest star basically tell of the title characters of them team, and make them look like fools. Especially if the team is as essentially pointless as Excalibur seems to be.


Runaways #17 - This was actually from last week, but I might as well review it here too, since I forgot to grab it when it came out. Next issue is the Grand Finale, and is being hyped on the tagline that "one of the characters dies." And, in the last page of this issue, we see one of the characters die. But, something tells me it isn't going to be as simple as that. Still, as always, an entertaining issue.

No comments: