Thursday, July 13, 2006

NEW COMICS: 07.13.06

This Blog is quickly become just a comics review Blog. I actually have some changes planned for it, but I don't think I'll get around to implmenting them until at least the end of the month. Until then, it will probably just be me rambling about comics.

Sorry.

X-men #188 - I like it, I really like it. It's amazing to think that I might actually like the creative teams on both of the main X-titles at the same time. I can't remember the lat time that happened... and I'm not entirely sure it has.

I'm not saying that this is a perfect issue because it has its weaknesses, but its such an improvement from Peter Milligan or Chirs Claremont that I enjoyed it thoroughly.

One of the things I enjoyed the most was Mike Carey's portayal of Rogue. When I first started collecting X-comics (back in 5th grade) Rogue was probably my favorite X-man. But I have lost interest in her over the years since most writers seem to think that she's a mopey southern belle who's sole contribution to the team is to whine and whimper about Gambit. Carey seems to be ditching all that (in addition to the bad accent) and is playing up her codename, making her tough, in control and a risk-taker. A good choice. And his take on the other characters seems to be equally interesting.

The whole issue is interesting, even if the badguys have yet to really grab me.

Civil War: Frontline #3 - Another interesting, if uneven, issue. The first storyline finally gets around to embedding the reporters into the two factions involved in the Civil War. But, not much happens beyond that. Peter Jenkin's still struggles with writing the Pro-Registration side, as we watch the Pro-Registration report basically prove to Reed Richards that he's wrong for Registering.

The Speedball story continues to probably be the most interesting one to me. I'm excited to see where it goes. And you can tell that there are plans for Speedball going forward. I give Joe Quesada props (I hate that word) for having convinced the fanbase that Speedball was as good as dead and then printing this story. I'll be interested to see how this resolves itself.

The third story basically meant nothing to me, since I don't know who the main character is. And the final story makes the same mistakes that the final story did in the last two issues of Frontline. I know Marvel thinks that these stories help give the Marvel Civil War importance, but in reality it just cheapens the real world events.

Still, I liked the issue enough overall to give it a

No comments: