Thursday, June 29, 2006

Gazing at your shoes while you dance

The other day, I stumbled acros the band Serena Maneesh, and noticed that a lot of their reviews described them as being a "shoe gazer band."



When I read the words "shoe gazer," my mind instantly went to My Bloody Valentine, and I thought "well, I'm feeling a little depressed today, this might be right up my alley." But, while My Bloody Valentine's wall of sound and feedback envelopes you like a comforting (if emotionally distant) blanket, Serena Maneesh's sound is the sonic equivalant of being throwin into the mosh pits of my youth. Sonic battery.

But, that wasn't actually a bad thing. The albums raw, driving sound was enough to yank me out of my funk and get me furiously working on my projects again. Sure, I was still grumbling about my job, but at least I had a good soundtrack for my grumbling.

Today though, I stumbled across Dirty on Purpose's Hallelujah Sirens. An album that, while not shoegazer, might have more helped draw me out of my funk the other day without leaving me feeling... well... agro.



Dirty on Purpose's sound is quite firmly in that same world of Indie Music inhabited by the likes of The Shins, Built To Spill and Death Cab For Cutie. Sensitive-man music that isn't afraid to rock out occasionally, or throw on its dancing shoes.

But, there's a nice melancholy that inhabits a good majority of Dirty on Purpose. These are songs for people sitting in the back seat on a long ride home; or lounging on the couch drinking one last glass of wine late at night, when they probably should be in bed.

Good stuff, and an album I can see myself continuing to warm to. Unlike Serena Maneesh, which I'll save for when I feel like picking a fight... in a sensative way.

Serena Maneesh's "Serena Maneesh"

Dirty on Purpose's "Hallelujah Sirens"

No comments: