Friday, July 28, 2006

"Audio X-men"

So, today on the Rhapsody player, in the New Releases section, they had a description of The Knife's new album, Silent Shout, that read:
Sweden's the Knife are like the audio X-men, all freaky and mutated but wicked-powerful...


As anyone who knows me can attest, I'm a bit of an X-fan. So, that review guaranteed at least one play from me. Regardless of whether or not its just entertaining hyperbole.

Turns out that, why I'd argue the X-menesque quality of the music (I'm a comic fan, I have to argue everything), they aren't bad. Stark, almost minimal techno, with a female singer who's voice drifts around somewhere between Bjork and Cindy Lauper. Several years ago, I was into going out dancing and listened to quite a bit or house or techno or breakbeat or whatever you want to call it. But, these day, I've lost most of my interest in it. That said, you could do a lot worse than this disc. Solid.

The Knife's "Silent Shout"

No comments: