Friday, October 27, 2006

NEW COMICS: 10.25.06

I've actually got some other interesting stuff I want to post here... but for now I'm just going to ramble about comics.

So, I dropped New Excalibur. I picked it up, leafed through it and realized it was another issue of "Frank Teiri does Dungeon's and Dragons with Mutants," decided I didn't care, and put it back on the shelf.

Nextwave #9 - While I love Nextwave, I do agree with people who claim that it is a quick read, or a little thin on ideas sometimes. But, I thought that this issue was the perfect mix of over-the-top action and a load of off-the-wall ideas. Ellis' spin on the idea of "a group of secret heroes created in the shadow of another high profile team" is absurb to the extreme, and just proves how ludicrous the idea can be (and often is). Pair that with the upside-down castle frames, the other throw away villians and a final page that I saw coming a million miles off but still enjoyed when it arrived and this was possibly one of my favorite issues in a series I've been loving from the start.



X-men #192 - I have to admit that I can't quite muster interest in the Children of the Vault as bad guys. I mean, they're supposed to be these super-tough villians that we fear will defeat the X-men and take over the world... but their history involves them being stuck in an oil tanker for, like, 30 years. And they couldn't figure out how to get out of it?

That said, I am still enjoying this title a ton overall. I think it hinges on two things: 1) Bachelo's art. And 2) the fact that Carey knows how to write pretty much every character on the team pitch perfectly. I've already raved about his Rogue. But, his Cannonball has the right level of "aw shucks" charm. This Iceman is actually not obnoxious. This Cable and Sabretooth are flip sides of the same entertaining Badass™ coin. Heck, he even sold me on Lady Mastermind this issue... and I didn't give a lick about the character before. Finally, while Beast isn't a member of the team; he steals every scene he's in, even if Bachelo draws him a little odd.

So, if Carey can keep the team dynamic interesting, I don't mind the bad guys being a little bland.

No comments: