Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Cool Beans"

You know what saying I hate? Cool Beans.

You know what saying I can't seem to stop saying? Cool Beans.

Fig. 01: Cool beans.

I'm not even sure where "cool beans" comes from or what it means. But, according to the Urban Dictionary is originated in the 70's, and was made popular by Candance Cameron's character in Full House. A show I never watched. Interesting.

Regardless, I seem to find myself using it more and more often. And, as a result, I seem to find myself loathing myself more and more for using it. Therefor, I've taken to augmenting the phrase in hopes of keeping the aloof, intellectual part of my brain from killing the slightly-less intellectual part that wants to keep chirping: Cool beans. Cool beans. Cool beans.

My new exclamation goes like this:
"As they say at the Arctic Chili Cook-Off: Cool Beans."

Awarsome. Anyhow, you heard it here first.

Apparently, according to my wife, I've also been saying "see you on the other side" a lot. This, my friends, is a completely separate problem.

So, what out there is actually cool beans, you ask?

Well, Stumptown Comics Fest looks like it will very likely be cool beans. This Portland based comic festival prides itself on focusing not just on creators. But, indie comic creators. With creators ranging form Craig Thompson to Tara McPerson, Brain Micheal Bendis and Scott McCLoud being featured, I can only presume that it'll be pretty rad. Or, as they say at the Arctic Chili Cook-Off: Cool Beans.

Also, this morning, I stumbled across the animated short, Flutter. It's one of those quick clips that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but who's visual style and audacity makes it easy to bear its obscure narrative. In some regards, it reminds me of the work of Farel Dalrymple, who is a talented illustrator, but who's most famous work, Pop Gun War, refuses to follow any sort of coherent narrative. But, I also see shades of Aeon Flux there... well, if you remove the violence and leather.

Fig 02: Wonderful, but impenetrable.

BEYOND LAST MINUTE EDIT: Also, since I have your very divided attention, I thought I'd point you in the direction of the 700 Hoboes Project, inspired by John Hodgeman's very funny The Areas of My Expertise.

Anyhow, are there any other cool beans out there I'm missing?

No comments: