Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Big Words

It's been a while since I posted anything here, so I figured it was time to spam those of you who actually stop by with some random knowledge... or, at the very least, some random thoughts and ideas by Milton Glaser (of the "I ♥ New York" logo fame).

Fig 1: Milton Glaser.

Over on the Other Internet, Thaddeus Gunn pointed out this excerpt from a talk Milton Glaser gave at an AIGA function in London back in 2001. In it he discusses "Ten Things I Have Learned," and while I'm sure a lot of people can probably find something on his list to disagree with, it's still a pretty interesting read. I was originally going to cut and paste the whole thing here, but that might be too intimidating, so I figured that I could just do a bullet list of the things he's learned instead...

10 Things Milton Glaser has Learned

• YOU CAN ONLY WORK FOR PEOPLE THAT YOU LIKE.
• IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE NEVER HAVE A JOB.
• SOME PEOPLE ARE TOXIC AVOID THEM.
• PROFESSIONALISM IS NOT ENOUGH or THE GOOD IS THE ENEMY OF THE GREAT.
• LESS IS NOT NECESSARILY MORE.
• STYLE IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED.
• HOW YOU LIVE CHANGES YOUR BRAIN.
• DOUBT IS BETTER THAN CERTAINTY.
• ON AGING.
• TELL THE TRUTH.

There, now that you've read the Online Marketing Bullet Point-style list, go read the whole thing here! As Glaser points out himself, "less is not necessarily more" so do you really want to only read the condensed version?

No comments: