Thursday, August 31, 2006

Building a happier vampire

Ever stumble across a gimmick that leaves you wondering whether or not you think its clever... or just obnoxious? Because thats the way I feel about Say Hi To Your Mom's "Impeccable Blahs."



The basic conceit (or is it "concept", I can never remember when its appropriate to use "conceit") for the album is that its very overtly about vampires. With song titles like "She Just Happens To Date The Prince Of Darkness" and "Not As Goth As They Say We Are" its hard to argue that this album isn't about vampires. And Goth kids.

Except, like the second song title hints, its not very goth. In fact, sonically, it lives in a universe similar to Death Cab For Cutie or the Shins. The albums first song features the chorus "I want to drain your blood" ...but over guitars that sound like they were lifted from the Knack's "My Sharona." And, while the second song features howls, they are much more My Morning Jacket than wolf-man.

But, yeah, I'm still not sure if I really like the gimmick. Or if its a little too coy and cutsy. But, I've been listening to the album off and on for the last few weeks and feel safe giving it...

No comments: