Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Something dramatic about the future.

I've got a weird fascination with Futurists. I think it started when I first got to hear Alvin Toffler speak at work a few months ago. And then purchased and read his latest book Revolutionary Wealth. There's something about the idea of being a "futurist" that interests me. It’s like the modern day version of an oracle, without the blind, hide-in-a-cave lifestyle. Or, maybe it’s because its like reading Science Fiction... with less fiction to it.

Then, again, maybe it’s just because a lot of superheroes, like Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic claim to be Futurists. In which case, maybe it still is the fiction part that appeals to me.

Regardless, I find myself reading anything written be a self-proclaimed Futurist whenever I stumble across it. Like, My Final Prediction by Bruce Sterling, which is worth reading is for no other reason than a few melodramatic quotes like this:

Technophobic refuseniks are likely to carry out violent resistance, and they may have good reason: Out-of-control technology is a distinct risk. The Lexus has collided with the olive tree, and its crumpled hulk spins in a ditch as the orchard smolders.

The other thing of note in that article is that Bruce is predicting the end of Futurism. So, I guess I should enjoy it while I can.

Speaking of things I'm enjoying currently, the illustrator in me is completely infatuated with Patchbox, an art portfolio site that gives each artist an 80x80 pixel space to provide and image and link it to his or her portfolio site. It’s a great way to spend several hours drooling over some amazing illustrations.



For example Joy Ang's art just levels me. She's got a great sense of color and shape, similar to James Jean's work. But, the kicker is that she was born in '85, which makes her, like, 10 years younger than me.

And here I was just coming to grips with Colin Farrell being younger than me. Sheesh.

No comments: